Sunday 2 July 2017

Barbara from The Flashing Scissors 2017 #4

Hello Friday Frolickers,

Gosh! It's been so long since I posted here, I'd completely forgotten what I'd worked on last time! Although, as you might guess, I haven't been working on the same things since .... Oh, except for the bee hive, which is finished now, but not FFO (fully finished off).

I thought that, rather than show you something you've seen before, I would dig out this little project that has been hidden in the Dreaded Cupboard for so many years! (Well I hope I haven't shown this before, but I can't be certain, you know what it's like ..... once it's typed I'm never quite sure whether I've written about a particular subject or merely considered writing about it!!!)

I must have started stitching this ..... oh no, I can't tell you it's so many years ago!

Well, it's s-o-o-o-o  nearly finished! All the cross stitch is done.

"What stopped me???? " I hear you say (or maybe not) ..... it was simply because I'd never made a tassel!

Truth be told I couldn't see the point in them, and this project calls for 3 tassels!

The instructions for the tassels are included with the pattern - although they weren't terribly clear, or maybe it was just me!

Elizabethan Nosegay
Pattern from The Textile Heritage Collection -
Elizabethan Nosegay, Designed by Anne Orr

Elizabethan Nosegay

Actually this has taken a few Friday nights to work on ..... one week I decided I needed to practice making a tassel before using the threads from this kit (don't want to run out of the right cottons) and so I found some nice pink thread, cut another piece of cardboard and started winding!

I read more about tassel making in The Magic of Crazy Quilting by J. Marsha Michler (and, as ever ..... I have no affiliation here, it just happens to be the first "Crazy Quilting" book I discovered at my local library..... quite a few years ago ..... and when I started blogging the library no longer had the book so I  bought a copy on line to help me with my stitching.) and my pink practice tassel worked out well 

Elizabethan Nosegay

So another Friday night I set to and made the 3 tassels, and the cord to hang the sachet from. Trouble is I'm not very good at reading instructions and I now have some extra cord to use elsewhere!

The sachet itself is not going so well. I machine stitched the sides together, but they didn't match very well, so the frog has visited, and now I need to stitch it together by hand. Maybe that is next Friday's job!

Anyway, I must dash now I want to FFO a couple of other projects tonight.

Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying lots of stitching this weekend.



Hugs,
Barbara xxx

8 comments:

Khristine Doiron said...

It is very pretty and I am sure will be worth all the tassel hassle (hehe) when it is finished :) That was my poor attempt at being a little funny.

FlashinScissors said...

Thanks Khristine! Tee hee, I like it! I'm looking forward to finishing but I just can't stop starting new projects! That's the only problem with the internet, oh, and magazines ...... I've been naughty of late and been tempted by quite a few magazines! But today was good, I FFO 3 or maybe 4 other WIPS that have been hanging about for months.

Pamela said...

Nice work with the tassels. I know what you mean about starting new projects!

Brigitte said...

I have never made a tassel either, Barbara. Yours turned out well. I'm looking forward to seeing this little beauty finished.

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you Pamela. I'm not winning! Only today I've been washing fabrics for a new project that I just can't resist! Although I am still cross stitching in the evenings too!

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Brigitte! I'm still putting off stitching the sachet together, but I would like to add it to the mid year finishes I'm working on at the moment.

Kaisievic said...

I've not made tassels before, either, Barbara but yours look lovely - it will be a sweet finish when it is done. I am like you - love, love, love starting new designs - FFOing, less so! lol!

FlashinScissors said...

Thank you, Kaye!
Oh, I must, I must finish this sachet, but the easier, newer projects are calling! Maybe ..... if I just use the iron on the patchwork squares I stitched last night, while the iron is on ..... I could lightly press the sachet squares too, and then I just might have a finish!

Happy stitching everyone!